Winter can be a difficult time nutrition-wise. Many of our favourite foods are out-of-season and become difficult to find. When we do find them, the price is high, and the quality is often low. Luckily, there are many vegetables that fare well during winter and can be easily sourced. Here are 8 of our favorites. Read on for what to eat, why to eat it, and how to eat it:
Vegetables that belong on your plate this winter:
- Beets – Beets are a great source of potassium (good for blood pressure) and the B vitamins (give you energy). Toss them in oil and seasoning and roast them – or use them in a soup or salad.
- Broccoli – Broccoli is high in fibre and vitamin K (for bone health). Steam it with cheese sauce for a heartwarming side dish.
- Brussels Sprouts – These small cabbages are a good source of antioxidants (cellular health). Cut them in half, toss them in oil, season with chili flakes or pancetta, and roast them. Easy to cook quickly in your air fryer!
- Cabbage – Red or green cabbage is full of fibre (great for regulating blood sugar and weight). Steam it as a side-dish or use it in a slaw.
- Carrots – Carrots provide vitamin A (for the best immune function and bone health). Great roasted or raw; grate them into a salad or serve with hummus dip before dinner.
- Cauliflower – Cauliflower is a good source of vitamin C (immune function). Season and toss in oil before roasting as a tasty side dish. This is often a good alternative to any recipe calling for steamed rice and is vitamin-rich.
- Ginger – Ginger helps digestion and boosts immune function. A little goes a long way – slice it as a seasoning in stir-fry, slice it into a smoothie, or get the boost from ginger tea.
- Kale – Kale is high in potassium (to keep your blood pressure in a normal range). Chop it into a soup, roast it, add it to a smoothie, or add it to lettuce in a salad.
There are of course many other fruits and vegetables to try this winter, but these really stand out for adding variety to your cooking, as well as their nutritional benefits. Combine them with any of our Don-o-Ray Farms homemade salsas or dinner sauces, conveniently available at our online shopping page for order and pickup. Call us to pick up your online order!