This region is known for its delicious produce and has become a popular destination for peach enthusiasts. Experts worldwide acknowledge the exceptional quality of peach varieties cultivated in this scenic Valley, often considering them among the finest globally.
Harvest Season of Kelowna Peaches
Kelowna’s mild climate and long summer days make it an ideal peach-growing region. The valley’s orchards produce a variety of peaches, ranging from white-fleshed to yellow-fleshed and from small clingstones to large freestones.
Benefits of Eating Fresh Don-O-Ray Peaches
How to Store Peaches
No matter what type of Okanagan peach you choose, knowing how to select the best ones is essential. Ripe peaches should be firm but give slightly when pressed. They should have a deep yellow or orange colour and emit a sweet aroma. Avoid fruit that is soft or has any signs of bruising or mould.
When preparing your fresh peaches for eating, it’s best to wash them under running water and pat dry. You can then enjoy them fresh or use them in recipes such as peach pie, cobbler, smoothies, or jams.
Fresh peaches are a delicious treat many people look forward to yearly! With the proper storage and preparation techniques, you can enjoy the sweet taste of these juicy and flavorful fruits all season long.
How to Peel Peaches
First, make sure you have ripe peaches. If you’re using frozen peaches, make sure to thaw them first.
Second, use a sharp knife and cut a shallow “x” in the top of the peach.
Third, fill a pot or bowl with boiling water and submerge the peaches for about 1 minute.
Fourth, remove the peaches from the boiling water and place them in an ice bath for a few minutes to cool them down.
Finally, gently peel back the skin of the peaches – the skin should come off easily!
By following these steps, you can quickly and easily peel peaches for all your favourite recipes. Enjoy!
Enjoy Don-O-Ray Farm Peaches
First, you can eat them as is. Peel the skin off and bite into the juicy flesh – it doesn’t get much simpler or more delicious than this. You can chop them up and add them to green or fruit salads or use them as toppings on ice cream, pancakes, or waffles for breakfast.
Second, you can use them in recipes such as pies, cobblers, smoothies and jams.
Third, grill them with a sprinkle of sugar or cinnamon for a sweet and smoky side dish.
Finally, you can freeze them in fruit salads or smoothies all year.
Fresh Okanagan peaches will surely be a hit no matter how you enjoy them!
How to Freeze Peaches
1. Select ripe, juicy peaches from your local farmer’s market or orchard.
2. Peel the peaches with a sharp knife and cut them into slices or wedges.
3. Place the peach slices in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for two hours.
4. After two hours, remove the frozen peaches from the baking sheet and place them in an airtight or resealable bag.
5. Label the container or bag with the date and store it in the freezer for up to 12 months.
By following these steps, you can enjoy delicious Okanagan peaches all year round!
Don-O-Ray Farms Peaches Facts and Tips
- Peaches are one of the few fruits that ripen after they are picked, so if your peaches aren’t quite ripe yet, leave them in a bowl on the counter and check on them daily.
- To ensure your peaches stay fresh longer, store them in a cool spot away from direct sunlight.
- The Okanagan is known for its sweet and juicy summer peaches. We have a town named Peachland.
- Peaches are a low-calorie snack that can help satisfy cravings and keep you full for longer.
- The dietary fibre in peaches helps to support healthy digestion and regular bowel movements.
- The peach is a nutritional powerhouse. Peaches are packed with antioxidants that can help protect the body from free radical damage and reduce the risk of certain illnesses.
- The peach’s fuzzy exterior protects it from insects, animals, diseases, and harsh weather. This enhances the fruit’s quality and resilience, helping it thrive despite obstacles.
- The cherry, almond, apricot, plum, and other related fruits belong to the Prunus genus. These fruits are all part of the rose family and share similar characteristics.
We have Freestone Peaches here at Don-O-Ray Farm
The Okanagan freestone peaches are well-known for their excellent taste and quality. We ensure peak freshness by giving exceptional care and attention during growth. Each peach is hand-selected to meet the highest standard, ensuring they are as fresh as if they were just picked from the tree.
Visit Don-O-Ray Farm to enjoy the delicious flavour of our freestone peaches. We assure you that you will be satisfied with the locally grown produce.