With the rising popularity of hot sauces, you might be curious about how they’re made and what kinds are out there. Here’s what is in that sauce that may give you teary eyes and a runny nose and yet always have you coming back for more.
Making fermented hot sauce necessitates many small decisions about ingredients and techniques, which will influence the flavour and texture of the finished sauce. Here are some popular types to think about:
According to Style
- Louisiana-style fermented hot sauces: Also known as American hot sauces, these are the most popular kinds of hot sauce. Brands include Tabasco, Crystal, and, of course, Louisiana Hot Sauce. Their texture is smooth and ranges from thin and watery to slightly viscous.
- Mexican-Style Sauces: Mexican hot sauces are smooth and typically made with a variety of peppers. Cholula, Valentina, and Tapatio are popular brands. Their consistency is thicker than that of Louisiana-style sauces. Although they are mostly not fermented, they are made in a similar style as American hot sauces.
- Thick Commercial-Style Sauces: Sauces in this category contain less liquid overall. You might be familiar with Sriracha (fermented) or any other sauce with a ketchup-like consistency. They have a longer shelf life.
- Donoray Farm’s Nature’s Kitchen Sauces: Our housemade Hot Sauce in 165 ml or 375 ml. Made using the Okanagan goodness of peppers grown on our own farm. Flavours include Original, Savory Jalapeno, Jalapeno Hotness, Cayenne Crackle, Spicy Habanero (Spicy Hot), and Habanero Heat (Fiery Hot). Our housemade Hot Sauce can be bought online in 165 ml or 375 ml sizes.
According to Heat Intensity (By type of pepper)
In terms of the heat intensity, hot sauces are classified from hottest to least hot. Here’s a list of major types, based on the primary pepper used:
- Carolina Reaper Sauces
- Cayenne Pepper Sauces
- Chipotle Pepper Sauces
- Datil Pepper Sauces
- Fatalii Pepper Sauces
- Ghost / Jolokia Pepper Sauces
- Habanero Pepper Sauces
- Jalapeno Pepper Sauces
- Peri Peri Pepper Sauces
- Red Savina Sauces
- Rocoto Pepper Sauces
- Scotch Bonnet Sauces
- Serrano Pepper Sauces
- Tabasco Pepper Sauces
- Thai Pepper Sauces
- Trinidad Scorpion Sauces
Spice it Up!
Shop in-store or online at Donoray Farms, for fabulous homemade hot sauce, Butter Chicken sauce, cakes, jams, jellies and of course fresh produce! We’re open between June – December from 9 am to 7 pm seven days a week.